NADCA EC-515 Die Casting Defects Course Review, Basics for controlling die casting defects - By Dr. Steve Midson
- A die casting lubricant build up usually comes from lubricant that was not evaporated from the die
- If it is darker in color, it is often referred to as carbon
- Review the die temperatures with the die spray supplier to get the proper lubricant - keep ratio under control
- Use of hard water in the die lubricant can sometimes cause build up
- Review the die temperatures with the die spray supplier to get the proper lubricant
- Keep die spray dilution ratio under control
- Don’t spray too long
- Be consistent
(Thanks to All About Metallurgy for posting this PDF. We'll cover other aspects of die casting defect control by the proper use of die casting lubricants from the course in upcoming blog posts)
(If you liked this article you might also like this post on, "Die Casting Defects")
Hill and Griffith Customer Service
We're known for our hands on approach. Let us visit your plant and recommend release agents, lubricants, plunger lubricants and permanent mold lubricants that suit your needs. Products that represent the latest in technology and ongoing research that enhance competitiveness and increase productivity.
We are pleased to provide samples in quantities large enough to allow you to "try before you buy." Die Casting and Squeeze Lubricants- Diluco®, Permanent Mold Coatings- Concote™, Plunger Lube™- Graphite and non-graphite oils and pastes with excellent anti-wear properties, Casting Operations Products: Start-up lubes, Ladle coatings, Anti-soldering pastes, Water glycol, Trim press lubricants, Surface protection for casting storage, Corrosion protection for die storage, Cleaners for machines and dies, Corrosion protection for machines, Heat treatment quenchants, and Heat-transfer fluids. Also, Industrial Lubricants Griflube®, Hydraulic fluids with fire-resistant and anti-wear properties, Bio-Syn natural ester-based hydraulic fluid, Way oil knuckle lubes and Metalworking Fluids- Grifcut™
Technical Services & Support
On-site process surveys, Casting defect investigations, Product testing, Tooling start-ups and Statistical process controls and much more. Also, lab facilities are available to provide testing upon request.