NADCA EC-515 Die Casting Defects Course Review, Basics for controlling die casting defects - By Dr. Steve Midson
- Blisters are another version of gas porosity, the gas just happens to be near the surface of the casting.
- The trapped gas is under high pressure at the end of fill and the metal may shrink and squeeze it more.
- When the casting is taken out of the die, and the die surface is no longer there to hold the casting shape, pressure from the trapped gas is able to push up a blister.
- Cool the die in the immediate area where the blisters occur
- Cool the blister area with die spray
- Cool the blister area by adjusting water lines
- Cool the whole die by slowing the cycle time
- Cool the casting immediately after ejection by quenching in water (this will keep the skin strong and resist blister formation)
- Reduce metal temperature (but watch for other problems)
(Thanks to All About Metallurgy for posting this PDF. We'll cover other aspects of die casting defect control by the proper use of die casting lubricants from the course in upcoming blog posts)
(If you liked this article you might also like this post on, "Die Casting Defects")
Hill and Griffith Customer Service
We're known for our hands on approach. Let us visit your plant and recommend release agents, lubricants, plunger lubricants and permanent mold lubricants that suit your needs. Products that represent the latest in technology and ongoing research that enhance competitiveness and increase productivity.
We are pleased to provide samples in quantities large enough to allow you to "try before you buy." Die Casting and Squeeze Lubricants- Diluco®, Permanent Mold Coatings- Concote™, Plunger Lube™- Graphite and non-graphite oils and pastes with excellent anti-wear properties, Casting Operations Products: Start-up lubes, Ladle coatings, Anti-soldering pastes, Water glycol, Trim press lubricants, Surface protection for casting storage, Corrosion protection for die storage, Cleaners for machines and dies, Corrosion protection for machines, Heat treatment quenchants, and Heat-transfer fluids. Also, Industrial Lubricants Griflube®, Hydraulic fluids with fire-resistant and anti-wear properties, Bio-Syn natural ester-based hydraulic fluid, Way oil knuckle lubes and Metalworking Fluids- Grifcut™
Technical Services & Support
On-site process surveys, Casting defect investigations, Product testing, Tooling start-ups and Statistical process controls and much more. Also, lab facilities are available to provide testing upon request.