Film-forming lubricating oils, solid lubricants, waxes, or fluids that prevent other materials from sticking or adhering to an underlying surface are called mold releases and release agents. Unlike permanent non-stick coatings, release agents typically require replenishment and are non-curing.Read More
Die Casting News
Some basic features are common for all kind of release agents (R.A.). They are:
- Incompatibilty with the product to be demoulded both chemical and physical. If moulded material absorbs the release agent, release power is extremely poor and surfacial defects are highly probable. Lubricating effects to help moulded material flow and moulded item extraction.
- R.A. should not be washed off mechanically by moulded material flow.
- In the case of die casting a basic property is thermal resistance at high temperature.
- Materials technically available in die casting release agents formulation are mineral oils, special silicones, waxes and esters.
- We need also surfactants because our products are water based.
- The job in formulating release agent is mostly empirical and requires a lot of experience. A set of analysis the obtain a coherent picture of thermal resistance of materials commonly used was not exaustive because of the instruments limitations.
- Die casting R.A. are water based because the water evaporation heat is very useful to cool down moulds. For this reason are used at high dilution.
Photo of "Best in Class" Magnesium Front Sub-Frame, Meridan Lightweight Technologies Inc., Ford Motor Company, Strathroy, Ontario Canada on display at the 121st AFS Metalcasting Congress, April 27, 2017, Milwaukee, WI.
Material: AE44 Magnesium
Process: Cold chamber high pressure diecasting
Weight: 23.1 lbs.
Application: Automotive mounting structure for steering, gear, sway, bar and engine roll restrictor. Originally designed as a weldment of steel stampings, the magnesium diecast structure reduced mass by nearly 9 lbs. and consolidated 15 parts into one large casting with corrosion mitigation and load distribution parts. The subframe was a CAE-driven design with stringent stiffness targets. The final design met all stiffness, durability, dimensional, and strength performance requirements, as well as requirements for elevated temperature proof load at attachment points.
Innovative Die Castings Wanted - Submit Your Entry to the International Die Casting Design Competition
Hill and Griffith Customer Service
We're known for our hands-on approach. Let us visit your plant and recommend metalworking fluids that suit your needs. Products that represent the latest in technology and ongoing research that enhance competitiveness and increase productivity.
We are pleased to provide samples in quantities large enough to allow you to "try before you buy." Metalworking fluids, Die casting and squeeze casting lubricants, Casting operations products, Water glycol, Trim press lubricants, Surface protection for casting storage, Corrosion protection for die storage, Cleaners for machines and dies, Corrosion protection for machines, Heat treatment quenchants, and Heat-transfer fluids. Also, Industrial lubricants Griflube®, Hydraulic fluids with fire-resistant and anti-wear properties, Bio-Syn natural ester-based hydraulic fluid, and Way oil knuckle lubes.
Technical Services & Support
On-site process surveys, Defect investigations, Product testing, Tooling start-ups and Statistical process controls and much more. Also, lab facilities are available to provide testing upon request.