Non-wetting Insulating Coating for Green Sand and all Metalcasting applications
When applied as a coating to ladles, runners, metalworking tools, pyrometer tubes, etc. POT AND LADLE COATING acts as a non-wetting insulating coating allowing liquid metal to roll off. This prevents tool attack by liquid metal and extends the life of the coated articles. It works well with zinc, lead, aluminum, and copper-base alloys.
- Have high refractory properties and low heat and electrical conductivity.
- Not easily wetted by molten metals.
- Will eliminate iron pickup.
- Adds to working life of objects coated.
- Facilities removal of metal sculls and spills.
PREPARING THE COATING:
- Mix powder into water, preferably warm, to form a heavy slurry. Let set for a least one-hour, preferably eight hours or overnight, then dilute with extra water to form a creamy slurry. The proportion is approximately one gallon of water to 3 lbs. of POT AND LADLE COATING Powder.
- For a coating with a tougher bond, mix to the following composition: one gallon boiling water, 3 lb. POT AND LADLE COATING, and 8 oz. Sodium silicate. Mix to a creamy consistency and use.
Clean metal article to be coated of scale or loose oxide buildup, preferably by sand blasting,
and heat to 150-250 degrees F. Dip, brush, or spray object with the mixture of POT AND
LADLE COATING. Allow to dry completely. A thin coating on metal objects will hold better.
Too heavy a coating will tend to spill off metal surfaces.
Fully preheat ladles and tools just prior to use and insert into molten metal slowly and carefully. If tool is damp, metal will spit from the bath.
Hill and Griffith Customer Service
The Hill and Griffith Company's green sand metalcasting foundry supplies help achieve the EPA's M.A.C.T. standards and reduce Benzene emissions. Our variety of environmentally sound release agents, coatings, partings, lubricants, core oils and specialty products will help you meet your metal casting's needs. We're known for our hands on approach. Let us visit your plant and recommend products that suit your needs.
We are pleased to provide samples in quantities large enough to allow you to "try before you buy."
Contact Us »
Technical Services & Support
On-site casting defect investigations, product testing, machine start-ups and much more. Also, lab facilities are available to provide testing upon request.
Contact Us »